Thursday, November 20, 2008

No sleep

We are still so excited to have Brayden home. It is sort of surreal to actually have him here. He definitely through us for a loop though. When he was at the hospital he would sleep 3-4 hours at a time and then get up to feed. Then get up for an hour or so sometime during the day for interactive playtime. That didn't seem to be the case the first night home. He got up almost every hour on the hour wanting to eat. Jon and I got NO sleep at all. By the time we fed him and put him down and then tried to lay ourselves down, it was time to get back up again. I am not sure what happened between the hospital and our house.

I will say though that last night was much better. It didn't really help that he had shots before we left the hospital, so he was a little crabby. He was on more of a 2 1/2 - 3 hour sleeping schedule last night. At least we all got a little bit more sleep. It is amazing how this tiny little thing completely rules your world. He is definitely getting adjusted to being home. He is very curious and checks everything out.

We had our first appointment with the pediatrician today. Everything looks good so far. They decided that we will not have to check out his blood level of the phenobarbital. I guess as long as he was in a good range when they started the maintenance dose, there should be no reason that the level should spike again, since it is based on his weight. Speaking of weight, we have a piggy on our hands!! The doctor said that by day 10 he likes babies to be their birth weight, since most babies loose 10% of their weight in the first week. Not Brayden, he has gained 10 ounces in 11 days. We are officially at 9 pounds already! He loves to eat, which I guess is a good thing.

6 comments:

Mrs. Ford said...

Welcome to parenthood! The whole figuring-out-a-schedule process can be pretty overwhelming, especially when sleep is hard to come by. Hang in there, he will sleep eventually! (And so will you!) I don't know if you're a reader, but THE most helpful baby book I ever read is called "Babywise" by Dr. Gary Ezzo. It was so helpful for getting my daughter on a good sleep, eat, play routine. I highly recommend it! Blessings! :)

IUgirl78 said...

Ugh, that first night home from the hospital was torture for me with both of my kids. You know it's bad when you start looking for a button in the crib to page a nurse to come and take the baby to the nursery. :) The good news is, it really does get better after you get through that night!! I second Jen's above comment about the book, "Babywise." It is the best book ever! I'm so glad to hear the check-up went well, too. :)

Megan Recker said...

Welcome home Worthington family! Oh those sleepless nights are quite fresh in my memory! Soon it will be soooo much better, and then you'll look back and wonder how you made it though those first nights! Enjoy settling in at home as a family of 3.
Thinking of you!
Meg and Luke

ejharvey said...

None of them could have said it better. The first night is always the worst! We are so glad that you are officially home! We can't wait to meet little Brayden. The pics are so cute so please don't stop uploading new ones during the small amount of "free time" you have. ha ha

Trisha said...

Hello Dr. Worthington. Congradulations! Brayden is too cute and his pictures make me want to cry in pure delight.

I heard of your troubles at work just this past week. I admire you and Jon's strengh through all this drama. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to emergencies and I worry about things too much. I can't bare had something like that happen to one of my kids, just hearing of what happened to Brayden made me want to cry.

I just wnated to let you know that I'm thinking of all of you's and I'm glad to hear Brayden is home and doing better. It's such a relief. Hang in there and I'm wishing you the bestest during the Thankgiving holiday. Missing you and your in my thoughts and prayers.

Trisha Chun
assistant at Dr. Sharma's

Aimee said...

That sounds about right, but before you know it, you'll have a friend ask you when you started sleeping through the night and you won't remember how it was waking up! Not that I miss it :-) but if he keep up the growth spurt, you'll be good to go sooner rather than later! Love you guys--hang in there and post pics soon.